Friday 3 March 2017

Retrospective

Reading Ken Broadhurst's latest post in "Living the Life in Saint-Aignan" has prompted me to go retrospective ... and put some photos up of my one-time South Australian hobby, growing oysters.

My old mate Steve Bowley, whose farm is on the Yorke Peninsula coast at Stansbury, gave me one of his lines to grow my own oysters, in return for helping him out from time to time.

I put about 3000 oyster spat in the water in 2012. By the time I left for France they were pretty much all gone. I'd eaten them or given them to friends.




Six months old

A little beauty


A back-yard operation


Harvesting





Captain Bowley

When I started out, Bowley told me that oyster farming wasn't hard work, at least no harder than gardening. Over the years I came to learn that he was a joker.


No comments:

Post a Comment