Monday 13 March 2017

Hoopoes not Woodies


More of these beautiful, exotic birds have come foraging in the colourful lawn-weeds in our front yard.

But I was mistaken, they are not woodpeckers. Thanks to a reader who corrected me. 


Apparently they are Hoopoes ... 


According to Wikipedia: The hoopoe (Upupa epops) is a colourful bird found across Afro-Eurasia, notable for its distinctive "crown" of feathers.





This one came quite close to the house.




At one point, he actually splayed his crown, but my shot was out of focus thanks to a tuft of grass in the foreground.

About the same time, another colourful bird made an appearance.






We looked it up ... it's an Eurasian Jay.

And to our delight we also spotted this character making his way quickly across the front yard, disappearing into a neighbour's property.

I don't know what it is. Any suggestions?









10 comments:

  1. The bird in the last photo looks like a female pheasant, poule faisane in French.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bird in the last photo looks like a female pheasant, poule faisane in French.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What time zone your computer is set at?

    ReplyDelete
  4. As you might know, I spend winters in Virginia and summers in France. So when I post a comment the date and time reflect my location. Right now, we switched to saving time this past Sunday and the time my comments were posted on your blog didn't reflect that. You are five hours ahead of us. That's why I asked.

    It will be around 7:20 am on Tuesday when I post this. Will see what happens!

    I posted a comment on Walt's blog at 7:09 am my time this morning and it shows 12:09 on Walt's blog. And that is right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now, I posted the comment above at 7:23 am on March 14. On your blog the date shown is 4:23, when it should be 12:23. Now you understand why I'm confused!

      Delete
    2. Of course it is ...the time shown...

      Delete
    3. Hi chm. I'm sorry for your confusion, but now I'm more confused tham you!

      Delete
  5. If I posted a comment at 7:43 on a blogger's blog in California it would show the same time as in yours 4:43. Since the is no am or pm mentioned, there is no way to know if it is west or east of me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful birds!! Having the time to appreciate nature is a blessing.

    ReplyDelete