Monday 14 December 2020

Wild Boar

We had a visit from our friend Brigitte the other day.

She informed us she had some wild boar for sale, did we want any?

I told her I couldn't take a whole animal but perhaps a shoulder and a leg.

We collected the freshly killed and butchered boar that afternoon and proceeded to cut the shoulder into cubes for a stew.

The rest we put in the freezer.

We had some friends around for lunch. The ragoût de sanglier  was delicious.





The other day, as I walked to the barn, I looked westwards and noticed a large dog running across the ploughed field.

But it was not a dog. It was a wild boar.

It cantered ponderously across the large clay clods, with forequarters that seemed bigger than the rest of its body.

Its big, black-maned head bobbed up and down.

It made its way down the slope and into the forest.



google pic


I looked for pursuing dogs or hunters but saw none. The boar was wisely putting distance between it and danger.

Near dinner time, I asked Cliona about the big broccoli and swedes I had growing in the field.

"Shouldn't we be harvesting them now?"

"No need," she said, "they'll be there next year."

"But what if the wild boar come up out of the woods and dig them up?" I asked plaintively.

"Then we'll eat the boar, so no loss."

I hadn't thought of that.

Her logic was impeccable.


6 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever had wild boar. It must be very strong tasting. Now my déformation professionnelle coming up as a former editor, check your last line, Tony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fixed. Well spotted Charles-Henry. I marinate my boar in herbs, spices, garlic, onion and red wine for 24 hours, then slow cook the stew in marinade and beef stock for three hours, finally adding chestnuts, mushrooms and fresh parsley. Not to forget a good red to accompany!

      Delete
    2. That sounds delicious. My impresssion was that venaison meat had a stronger taste than that of farm anImals. Please note that there is haute and basse venaison depending on the size of the wild animal. Looks like venison in English is restricted to deer mear.

      Delete
    3. Sorry, I meant dear meat. Working on a tablet in bed is not the easiest! And, at 96 yo my sight is not as good as it used to be!

      Delete
    4. Dear Charles-Henry, I knew it was a tupo, sorry typo! Seriously, I am in awe of you ...

      Delete
  2. Had wild boar at a restaurant in Narbonne many years ago. Apparently it had been shot by the owner's friend and thus a very special treat for us.

    ReplyDelete