Saturday 25 May 2019

The bench at the bottom of the garden


Ever since we moved into Ellesmere, I've wanted to have a bench on which to sit and enjoy our garden.

I soon discovered the cost of a new one was prohibitive.

So I kept an eye out at vide greniers (garage sales) for a used one.

At a local brocante (old wares) shop, I spotted a rusted, broken-down old bench. I quite liked the style.

It had cast-iron ends with wooden slats.

It was in very poor condition so I got it at a good price.










I dismantled it ... discarded the decayed and broken slats and began the painstaking task of removing all the white paint.

I also had to remove the rust from the ironwork and cut new seating slats. I kept the three back-support slats.







Once the cast-iron ends and back-support slats were cleaned and the new base slats cut, the bench was ready to finish. By "finish", I mean spraying the metal with black paint and oiling the timber slats.







Finally, the piece was finished and ready to install in the garden.

I placed it under the lime tree, by the many heuchera and hellebores, looking back over the pool towards the house.










There is something deeply satisfying about a garden bench, where you can sit calmly and contemplate the beauty and tranquillity of the garden.
 

5 comments:

  1. Wow! Tony. You're not only crafty but an artist as well. This is superb! Congratulations.

    I know how you must feel when you contemplate a work so well done. As I said before, a DIY bench is so much more comfortable than a store-bought one! I see many enjoyable days in your future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By crafty, I meant very skilfull. I should have looked up the actual meaning of that word before using it!

      Delete
  2. We had one of these in Sydney. Fab job Tony and very satisfying, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete