Tuesday 7 May 2019

Flowers galore



Cliona and I will be forever in the debt of the artist responsible for the palette of colour around Ellesmere.

At the beginning of her ten-year tenure, Nicole Negrello designed the garden and chose the plantings.

We bought the house from the Negrellos a year ago.

In these wondrous and warming Spring days, it is such a pleasure just walking around the yard.

The irises are nothing short of magnificent. They are like some kind of intricate, papier-mache creation.













And there are the roses, of course.













And myriad other blooms ...


a humble bumble bee feeding on a rabbit's ear



like a supernova



deep-throated pink







4 comments:

  1. L'iris est ma fleur préférée and these are absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. merci Charles-Henry. The next time you visit France, I would like to invite you to Ellesmere.

      Delete
    2. Hi Tony. Been in Paris for about a week now, and I'm trying to figure out whether I'm going to travel at all during the next month or two depending on how I feel.

      The daughter of my late painter friend invited me for a few days stay at her place, as she did last year for the exhibit of her father's paintings I told you about. I didn't accept her invitation yet, but if I do she would pick me up in Agen. Since you're only twenty kilomètres away, I might take you to your word and drop with her for a short visit, on our way to her place near Monflanquin, in the north of you in the same département.

      I might also bring you a cutting from a cactus that I have had in Virginia for many years. It is Opuntia humifusa and it's quite hardy outside in full sun. Its yellow flowers, in May/June, are gorgeous, and it will be a conversation piece.

      If you're interested in the cactus, let me know and I'll keep one cutting or two for you. Email me at salton22@earthlink.net, if you want.

      I'll keep you posted.

      Delete