Sunday 6 January 2019

Restoration


I have returned to a hobby which occupied my leisure time almost 20 years ago ... furniture restoration.

I found this derelict piece at the tip at Nicole, a village not far from here.

It was once a cupboard ... but I needed a bookcase for the mezzanine.

I got rid of the crappy top and removed the drawer supports.

I stripped the paint to reveal old pine.





I made a new top out of a discarded board I found at the tip. It had an attractive bevelled edge, which was a good thing considering the fact I didn't have a router bit to create a decorative edge.



An old plank cut into four pieces and mitred.


 I made shelves out of scrap timber and a feature piece for the top.


a closer look at the top and its feature piece


The timber I added was stained and black boot-polished to match the cabinet.


the finished bookcase

I am thrilled to have the work space in the barn and the necessary tools and materials to pursue my hobby.


5 comments:

  1. First of all, happy new year to you and yours.

    Tony, you're a man according to my taste, I love this post. Just like you, I like to use my hands since, as we say in French, I am a bricoleur. I'm not as crafty as you are, but I take great pride in what I am able to produce or build, but on a smaller scale.

    Your new bookcase is beautiful. Congratulations.

    On the other hand, I learned a new word or, at least, a new acceptation [British] of the word Tip. I love tips where you can find some discarded treasures! In a previous life, I probably was a chifffonnier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you Charles Henry! It is always a pleasure to hear from you. Thank you for those kind words. Yes, tips ... where you can find a diamond in a dungheap! I was overjoyed to discover the hill of old timber and thrown away furniture at Nicole. This is where le bois jeté ends up before it is chipped. I have seen lots of interesting stuff and already have a couple of projects waiting to start, but at the moment I am making two bedside tables for our guest room.

      Delete
  2. Hi Tony. My father loved a visit to the ¨tip¨ too. He would always embarass us by finding something to bring home and re-use or restore. My favourite was a large model sailboat for which he even made new sails. Eventually he moved on to making full sized boats in the garage.The car never had a home. à bientôt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad this post made you think of your Dad. I hope you hold happy memories. I do of mine ... from what seems like a lifetime ago.

      Delete
  3. Work of art, work of love. 👏👏

    ReplyDelete