Tuesday 8 November 2016

Goodbye Viv

Before I left, I had to decide about Viv, my 1955 VW Beetle. After much agonising, I decided to send her to England, where I knew I could get a good price. The harsh fact of the matter was ... I could not leave her here or take her to France. 

It was hard to bid adieu to Viv. She brought me home in the well under the little oval window as a newborn from Brisbane's Mater Hospital with three siblings jammed across the back seat and Mum and Dad in the front.

She'd driven me safely on many roads, to many destinations, over many years. Goodbye old girl, you've served me well.

2 comments:

  1. A pity you had to let her go

    Was there no way you could get her to France?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately no, Simon. She is a right-hand drive and I just felt it would be awkward to have her here In France. Anyway, we needed a more modern car, and have bought a new Citroen. Viv would've been too expensive I believe to convert to left-hand drive and this would've ruined her authenticity, Trust me, it was a very hard decision. I had a long history with that wonderful old car. But she is going to a good home in the UK, and I have spoken to the VW enthusiast who bought her. I will get his address and follow up next time I am in England.

    ReplyDelete