Tuesday 7 December 2021

Paris

 We were strolling along the street in the fifth arrondissement when we saw a building that said ...

the poet Verlaine died here and Earnest Hemmingway lived here

I was quite surprised and delighted by this discovery, because one of my favourite Bob Dylan songs ... You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go ... contains these lines:

situations have ended sad, relationships have all been bad, mine have been like Verlaine and Rimbaud's ... 


We went shopping in Galeries Lafayette. Carolynn and Cliona went into one of the stores and Hedley and I went into the basement of another.

If the love of food is a religion, then this was the Heaven that awaits all good gourmands.

Later, hungry, we went looking for a good but inexpensive restaurant and discovered Casa Cosa.


Compared with les grandes brasseries, it was an unprepossessing eatery, but we entered on a hunch.

It was a good hunch.

The place was warm., the staff inviting and the food excellent.

It was a great find and one we will remember whenever we return to Paris.



Later that night, we joined the throng in the Montmartre version of that Parisian iconic eatery Boullion Chartier.

 


It was heaving ... and we were prescient to get there early.  As we were leaving, a large crowd had spilled onto the street in a long queue.

It'd been more than three years since our last trip to Paris.

I certainly hope it won't be three years before our next one. 








4 comments:

  1. Tony, I’m glad you enjoyed your trip to the City of Lights.
    I understand the verrière (glass roof) of the Galeries Lafayette original store on Bd Haussman was recently restored. Did you see it?
    Where did you stay? In that vicinity? Is it a wig or a béret on your head? Too many questions?
    Glad you found an affordable and good restaurant that you enjoyed.
    Ken introduced me to Bouillon Chartier and I did enjoy our lunch there.
    My apartment in Paris is on the Left Bank quite the oposite from there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a wig!!! A beret!!! How cheeky you are Charles-Henry! I had a really good laugh! We stayed in an AirBnb apartment but it wasn't satisfactory, next time we will stay in a hotel, as I have had too many unsatisfactory experiences with AirBnb accommodation. I am actually returning to Paris in early January to renew my passport at the Australian Embassy, which is in the 7eme near the Eiffel Tower. We will be staying at the Hotel Gustav and then dining at the Cafe du Commerce. We saw the roof of the women's Galeries Lafayette, a backdrop to the giant Christmas tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Tony. I’m curious. Do you have recommendations for both the Hotel Gustave and the Café du Commerce? For what I know they might be both excellent.
      That part of Paris is my old haunts.
      The Australian Embassy is on rue Jean Rey close to the Bir-Hakeim metro station. My apartment is four stations down the line at Sèvres-Lecourbe, so this is my old stomping grounds. Cousins of mine lived on avenue de Suffren at the other end of the rue Jean Rey. And I had very good friends living next to the metro Dupleix.
      Did you know what is the first name of who looks like being the chef (owner?) at the Café du Commerce? It is.. Tony?
      Do you lose your Australian citizenship if you get the French one? Or are you going to have dual citizenship like me?

      Delete
    2. Charles-Henry, no, I will not lose my Australian citizenship, I expect to hold dual nationality ... if I succeed in my French application, that is. Yes, our Australian friends who live in Port St Foy recommended both. They had to go to the same consulate to do the same thing!

      Delete