Monday 17 September 2018

Heritage shared


On the weekend, France threw open many historic buildings as part of Journées de Patrimonie (days to honour heritage).

I drove up to Clermont-Dessous, a pretty bastide (fortified) village with a beautiful domed church.



The parish church of Saint-Jean Baptiste was built in the 12th century and commands a superb view of the Garonne valley.

The church was restored in 1880 and received heritage listing in 1908.


the interior



one of the lead-light windows


a gorgeous Gothic chair


the confessional

the view from the church yard

The village has some wonderful stone and columbage (half-timbered) houses.




This home has an attractive little courtyard bathed in morning sunlight.






4 comments:

  1. Is there a cemetery at the church ? Such a wonderful view for those visiting the graves of loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose there must me but I didn't see it.

      Delete
  2. When I was a young one, we had such a gothic chair. It was extremely uncomfortable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those chairs Charles Henry... if I ever see one in a brocante/vide grenier, I shall buy it!

      Delete