Sunday 19 August 2018

Bodega at Prayssas


The nearby village of Prayssas had a Spanish-themed festival this weekend.

They called it Bodega. I was told it was an annual celebration of the Basque country and its food from the land (terre) and sea (mer).

There was a fair crowd at the Sunday lunch.




There were stalls selling vegetables and fruit, Spanish ham, jewellery, wine, waffles, chips ... and a vide grenier (car-boot sale).

At the foot of the tall church tower, the village square was decked out with tables and chairs ... those under the shady trees were popular.





So was the bar.

I bought a dozen Archachon oysters, opened them with a knife borrowed from the vendor and washed them down with a cold beer.

There was a stall selling mussels and paella.





The mussels were delicious, smothered in caramelised onion.

The tapas from the bar was great value at 10 euros. It consisted of six treats, sausage, octopus, chicken, potato, cheese, melon and bread.





A guitarist played and sang.





It was a wonderful atmosphere.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Tony, that tapas was a complete meal. What a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It wasn’t clear for me what bodega meant. Being a Northern France native, it is not a word that is part of my vocabulary. It reminded me, though, of an upscale hotel in Bodega Bay in Northern California where they charged me to make a local phone call!

    After some research, I found out that word has several very different meanings and, as you describe it here, it also means some sort of Spanish-sytle party, complete with food, tapas, wine and music. I any case, I’m sure you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete