Monday 15 May 2017

Carte de Sejour


Well, I finally got it.

It's a great relief, after many disappointing trips to the letterbox.

I've been waiting three months, but it seems longer.

Titre de Sejour ... Carte de Sejour ... I don't know the difference. It tells me the Nature of the Titre is the Card.

I hold it in my hand and look at it intently. It's pink and blue with the outline of a charging bull over my head.

A ghostly image of my face floats in the centre, beside the floral insignia of the Republique.

The stress of the Carte de Sejour (CdS) was not in the gathering of documents, nor the interview; it was the wait.

Last Friday, in desperation, I rang Mme Lafargue, the woman who interviewed me.

Trying to sound casual, I told her my recipisée (application receipt) was about to run out and I had not yet received my CdS.

She said, no problem, I could come in and get another recipisée.

Hang on, she said, let me just check.

She came back to the phone. Oh, it's here, she said.

In the centre of Agen, I sit under a pepper tree at a ricketty table, and marvel at the narrow wedge of city buildings jutting into the square like the bows of ships. Cliona spends time in Galleries Lafayette.

For the first time since arriving in France on the 30th of November last year, I can completely relax.



7 comments:

  1. Félicitations Tony. You are now one of us (immigrants that is).

    ReplyDelete
  2. How is the house hunting going ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good. We've seen so much, but nothing ticks all the boxes. Will probably rent near Cahors for the winter of 17/18 and investigate over that time. Will send you an email soon with a couple of food and wine propositions. Duras wine picnic in June and Mr Rigo is killing a lamb.

      Delete
  3. Cahors is a lovely town and the countryside there is beautiful. A good choice. We went to Moissac yesterday to see the abbaye. A hot day but enjoyed the scenery. Everywhere looking so luxuriant. à bientôt

    ReplyDelete