Wednesday 19 April 2017

La Fabrica


We had a degustation dinner at an outstanding restaurant recommended by the concierge of our pension, Maria.

It was our last night in San Sebastian.

We started with an aperitif, sangria for me and cava (bubbles) for Cliona.



The "amuse bouche" was a vegetable soup topped with a creamy mousse in little glasses.



The entrée was prawn and cress on a mound of avocado mash.




Next came a scallop topped by caviar in a puddle of paprika-flecked velouté, showcased in a glass bowl.



Then a mushroom parcel in a cream sauce.



After that, a piece of baked cod ...


And squid in its ink.



For mains, I had a piece of beef on a bed of puree with jus, and Cliona had pork cheeks with apple chutney.




A runny raspberry sorbet with a tiny dollop of ice-cream was a palate-cleanser.




During the meal we drank a bottle of Vaga Cigala Verdjo 2016. I also had a glass of Javier San Pedro Rioja Alavesca with my steak.




Dessert was a chocolate extravagance for me, and a cheescake for Cliona.





This was our  "Babette's Feast" ... to say farewell to Donostia, a city of unforgettable pleasures.






3 comments:

  1. Wow! I'd have to fast for a week after such a Pantagruelic feast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now there's a new and intriguing word ...

      Delete
    2. In fact, what I meant was Gargantuesque. I mistook the son for the father!

      Delete