Thursday 5 January 2017

The local library

At Castelmoron, there is a small library, attached to the town hall.

I went there with my passport and electricity bill, expecting to provide proof of identity and address.

I needn't have bothered. I just filled out a modest form and paid an annual subscription of 7.50 euros.

My son has been raving about a French novel he read in English, "The Stranger" by Albert Camus.

I was chuffed when the librarian found it for me.




This extraordinary novel, set in French Algeria, was the young writer's first book, and won him the Nobel prize for literature in 1957.

My progress is very slow. I am constantly reaching for the French-English dictionary, but I'm appreciating just what a fine work this is.

The other publications I borrowed were editions of my favourite French comics ... Lucky Luke and Tintin.



Luke is a cool-hand cowboy cleaning up the Wild West. His arch-rivals are the four Dalton brothers, bumbling bad-arses who terrify the residents of one-horse towns but are no match for the quick-drawing, durry-dangling Luke.

The other comic or bande dessinee that I love is Tintin.

I was first introduced to Tintin at the home of a wonderful French/Moroccan family in Casablanca in 1977. It holds a nostalgic appeal to this day.



I have a month to read all of these. I will have to beg an extension.


1 comment:

  1. Best way to learn, brush up, and become familiar with a foreign language is to read good literature and newspapers (et les bandes dessinées, pourquoi pas?). You'd be surprised how much you learn and how much you remember you didn't even know you had. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete